Wednesday, May 29, 2013

Howell Woods

I joined my friend Sam Jolly and his mom to go to Howell Woods out near Goldsboro, despite the summer-like weather (hot).  We had several target species: Swainson's, Kentucky, and Prothonotary Warblers, along with Yellow-breasted Chat and Mississippi Kite.  We saw (or at least heard) all of them, along with dozens of Acadian Flycatchers and Eastern Wood-pewees.  I was especially excited when I saw my first Chat calling from a brushy area just off the trail, and I was surprised at how colorful it actually was.  America's largest species of warbler no longer evades me!  A Yellow-billed Cuckoo made quite an appearance as well, but the highlight for me was this Mississippi Kite that we saw just as we left.  A pretty sweet bird #222 this year, and the most beautiful raptor I've ever seen...

The Mississippi Kite - Howell Woods is one of the best places in NC to see this species, and it did not disappoint.  We ran into some British birders who were also looking for this graceful bird... I hope they saw it!

No comments:

Post a Comment